Man Drinks Gasoline, Lights Cigarette, Guess What Happens Next?

HuffPost: HAVELOCK, N.C. — Police say a North Carolina man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette. Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early Tuesday morning. City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend’s apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes. Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flame. Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation.

Continuing their investigation? Sounds like an open and shut case to me. This might sound crazy but do you know why you aren’t allowed to smoke at gas stations? Rumor has it that gasoline is highly flammable. So if you just so happen to get some on you, or even drink some, you’re considered highly flammable. But leave it up to someone in the south to have gasoline sitting in a jar on the counter so someone can mistakenly drink it. At least they said it was a mistake. I call bullshit. You can smell gasoline from a mile away so I’m trying to understand how one might accidentally pick up a jar of it and drink it like it’s a Big Gulp from 7-11. Anyway I hope kids learn the lesson from this story…don’t live in the south.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s